Speech is how we produce sounds and words. Children with speech disorders often have difficulty saying words clearly and fluently. Children with speech disorders often have average or above average intelligence.
Signs and Symptoms
Common signs and symptoms include:
• Difficulty in pronouncing certain sounds
• Frequent pauses when speaking e.g. stuttering
• Distorting sounds when talking
• Adding extra sound and words when
• Visible frustration when trying to communicate
Common causes include:
• Environmental factors
• Problems with mouth organs e.g. tongue, jaw, cleft palate etc.
• Brain damage
• Respiratory muscles weakness
• Vocal cords damage or paralysis
• Comprehensive tests by a speech